- Creating Herbal Formulas: Urologic System 2h 30min
Creating Herbal Formulas: Urologic System
Please Note: This is a recording of a live webinar hosted by Naturopathic CE; as a result, there may be natural interruptions in the audio and video quality. Thank you for your understanding!
Urinary complaints are common in general family practice from simple UTIs to urinary lithiasis, to diabetes-related glomerulonephropathy. This presentation will review important materia medica options categorized by their main actions, including urinary antimicrobials, diuretics, renal trophorestoratives, and urinary antispasmodics. This presentation will also help guide clinicians in the use of specifically indicated herbs to create formulas to treat cystitis, renal colic, renal failure, and prostatic disease.
- Appreciate the different mechanisms of accomplishing diuresis and select herbs with the desired effect according to specific need
- List herbs that are specifically indicated for urinary spasm, renal circulatory insufficiency, prostatic enlargement, mucosal barrier dysfunction, and urothelial disorders
- Be able to choose specific materia medica options based on precise indications
- Identify herbs that are the strongest urinary antimicrobials and when and how they can be featured in herbal formulas
- Describe what situations urinary counter irritants would be indicated
- Craft sophisticated herbal formulas to best address individual presentations
Dr Jillian Stansbury is a licensed naturopathic physician with 30 years experience, specializing in women’s health, fertility, PCOS, adrenal and thyroid disorders, and endocrine imbalances. She also treats immune and allergic disorders, and chronic disease including diabetes, osteoporosis, metabolic syndrome, and heart disease, as well mental health disorders including anxiety and depression.
Dr Stansbury served as the Chair of the Botanical Medicine department at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, Oregon and remains on the faculty. Dr Stansbury enjoys keeping up with the latest research in natural products chemistry and sharing the developments with other health professionals, as well as delving deeply into traditional and folkloric wisdom on the uses of plants as foods and medicines. Dr Stansbury compiles her research and presents some 10-20 original research papers at medical conferences each year, and has published numerous scholarly articles and several books, including Herbs for Health and Healing, and PCOS Health and Nutritional Guide. She is the author of Herbal Formularies for Health Professionals - a comprehensive herbal formulary text based on her decades of research and clinical experience (published by Chelsea Green).
Dr Stansbury is also an ethnobotanist and has conducted field studies in the Peruvian Amazon for over a decade, living and studying with the Wachiperi, Matstigenka, Bora, and Yagua communities for many years, as well as studying Andean plants. She has created photo, video, and herbarium archives of the plants that she has learned and has published several books on this material as well, including Stung by the Rainbow, and the Mystical and Medicinal Plants of the Andes and Amazon. She leads ethnobotany field courses for nature, adventure, and plant enthusiasts in the Iquitos and Manu regions of the Peruvian Amazon each July 20-30, and winter holiday. Email Dr Stansbury for more information at [email protected].