- Evidence-Based Medicine & Naturopathy 2h 00min
Research Review: Evidence-Based Medicine and Naturopathy
This online webinar will review the interplay of evidence-based medicine (EBM)/evidence-informed practice and naturopathic medicine. It will review recent research into the attitudes of the naturopathic community towards EBM and how they have changed over time. It will explore the possibilities of using whole systems research to study naturopathic medicine and then will close with review of whole systems research into naturopathic medicine including retrospective chart reviews, prospective observational studies, surveys, randomized controlled trials, and systematic reviews.
- Consider the question of are evidence-based medicine and naturopathy antithetical?
- Identify early opinions in the naturopathic community towards EBM
- Explain later shifts in opinion on this topic
- Understand how these shifts occurred
- Define evidence-based medicine as it was initially intended
- Consider the differences (if any) between evidence-based medicine and evidence-based naturopathic medicine
- Understand the value of different research approaches to defining/explaining what naturopathic medicine is.
- Appreciate the benefits and challenges of whole systems research
Dr. Goldenberg is a naturopathic physician, professor, researcher, and creator of Dr. Journal Club. He is most passionate about the interplay of evidence and clinical practice.
As a naturopathic doctor Dr. Goldenberg currently practices alongside a family practice MD in a collaborative membership model they call Collabracare. While he practices as a general naturopathic practitioner, he is specifically interested in irritable bowel syndrome.
Dr. Goldenberg is a passionate educator and currently is adjunct professor at Bastyr University, his alma mater, in which he enrolled after receiving honors and distinction in molecular biology from the University of Pennsylvania. He is also faculty for the Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine’s Interprofessional Fellowship in Integrative Health and Medicine, where he teaches evidence informed practice.
Dr. Goldenberg is an active researcher with numerous publications in high impact scientific journals such as Annals of Internal Medicine and The Cochrane Library. His research focus includes evidence informed practice, irritable bowel syndrome, probiotics, and research methodology. He is currently Research Investigator at the Bastyr University Research Institute and Visiting Research Scholar at the University of Technology Sydney. He has presented nationally and internationally on evidence based medicine as well as probiotics and research methodology. His probiotics work has been highlighted by the BBC, The New York Times, The Seattle Times, Prevention Magazine, and Fox News.
In 2014 Dr. Goldenberg created the medical education website www.DrJournalClub.com in order to share his passion for the interplay of evidence and clinical practice with the larger integrative medicine community.