- Lesson 1 | An Overview of Naturopathic Aesthetics 2h 00min
- Lesson 2 | Complementing Medi-Spa Services 1h 15min
- Lesson 3 | Scar & Wound Management, Nutrition for Aging 1h 00min
Naturopathic Aesthetics: An Introduction
Stroll into any department or cosmetics store, and the plethora of products made from herbal extracts, vitamin infusions, and all else that nature has to offer, will be readily apparent. Yet, despite our shared education in managing a multitude of dermatological concerns, the understanding and application of these cosmetic products remains underexplored. This course seeks to provide a detailed overview of how Naturopathic therapies can be used in Aesthetics Medicine. Topical, dietary, and lifestyle-based approaches in the maintenance of healthy skin; prevention & reduction of skin photoaging; and in the management of various dermatological and aesthetics concerns will be reviewed.
Within the review of topicals, we will explore in detail some of the popular & well-established cosmeceutical ingredients and products used for photoaging, oily & dry skin, pigmentation concerns, facial redness, periorbital skincare, and cellulite, among others. Other topics reviewed will include: examples of Naturopathic approaches to complement popular Medical Spa services; scar and wound management; and common ingredient formulations to consider in selecting moisturizers, cleansers, and sunscreens.
This course will benefit a variety of Naturopathic practitioners: those currently utilizing aesthetics therapies such as cosmetic acupuncture or mesotherapy; those working in, or seeking work in, a medical-spa or fitness facility; those managing a high degree of dermatological conditions; and finally, those simply looking to add an aesthetics element to their clinical practice.
- Explore the various applications of Naturopathic Aesthetics to one’s clinical practice
- Appreciate the integral role of the skin barrier, and its components, in maintaining skin health and in the treatment of various dermatological & aesthetics concerns
- Review the role, benefit, and clinical/aesthetic applications for various topical cosmeceutical products and/or ingredients
- Identify key ingredients used in the formulation of topical moisturizers and skin cleansers, including those used to fortify the skin barrier
- Identify key topical cosmeceutical ingredients, diet and lifestyle approaches in the management of: oily skin, dry skin, facial redness/blotching, hyperpigmentation, skin photoaging, cellulite, scar & wound management, among others
- Identify how Naturopathic Medicine can compliment the use, and enhance effectiveness of, various Medical-Spa/Dermatological services and devices
- Identify the two key types of sunscreen ingredients; which type to use under certain dermatological conditions; and provide patients with easy-to-use guidance regarding appropriate sunscreen use
- Understand and apply key dietary approaches to support healthy skin and reduce effects of photoaging
Proudly celebrating over 15 years in the profession, Dr. Rob Ayoup, ND, has worked to promote the rich benefits of Naturopathic Medicine to all those he has worked with. After achieving his BSc in Psychology from McGill University, this proud Montreal native traveled down the highway to attend The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto. Graduating in 2002, and settling in the Toronto area, Dr. Rob has enjoyed a career filled with varied and unique ways of offering Naturopathic Medicine to the public.
Dr. Ayoup has applied Naturopathic Medicine across multiple avenues. In addition to clinical practice, these include working as a CCNM recruitment representative and teaching assistant; organizing & teaching various public CE courses at CCNM; a Naturopathic consultant for one of Canada’s largest nation-wide Employee Assistance Programs; and proudly has penned a portfolio of published articles covering both general & retail-focused topics in natural medicine. Dr. Rob is currently a contributing author to the Naturopathic Currents website.
The bridge into Naturopathic Aesthetics began soon after graduation. Upon completing additional training in Cosmetic Facial and Cellulite Acupuncture, Dr. Rob soon found a strong interest in his patient population for less invasive and natural approaches to skin health and beauty. This was accelerated by the recognition that, although well trained for managing common skin concerns, the knowledge base for the ever-growing and prevalent realm of natural-based cosmetics and cosmetic techniques was underexplored. As Dr. Rob studied and integrated these therapies into his practice, he quickly realized how much Naturopathic therapies, and especially our approach, can offer in the arena of Aesthetics Medicine. Working within various medical spa and fitness facilities have offered a wonderful opportunity to integrate Naturopathic Aesthetics in the Toronto area. Building on his passion for constant learning & teaching, Dr Rob is eager to educate his fellow NDs as to this exciting application of Naturopathic Medicine.