- Lesson 1 | Influenza Vaccination 45min
- Lesson 2 | The Tamiflu Controversy 30min
- Lesson 3 | Cold and Flu Natural Remedies 45min
Research Review: Cold and Flu Remedies and Vaccines
This course reviews 10 research studies related to cold and flu prevention and treatment. It covers current meta-analytic evidence on influenza vaccination efficacy in healthy children, adults, the elderly, and cardiovascular disease patients. It also covers meta-analysis on Tamiflu efficacy in the treatment of flu as well as some randomized controlled trials on green tea, zinc, probiotics, and neti pots for colds and flu.
This course will cover the following topics:
- Influenza Vaccination including in children, healthy adults, the elderly, and in high cardiac risk adults
- The controversy of Tamiflu
- Green tea and flu prevention
- Zinc and the common cold
- Probiotics and the common cold
- Effectiveness of Netti pots versus steam inhalation
- Understand the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine in healthy adults and children
- Understand the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine in the elderly
- Understand the importance of influenza vaccination in those with recent cardiac events
- Explain the key elements in the “Tamiflu Controversy”
- Evaluate limitations to the Tamiflu research base
- Evaluate limitations to using zinc for the common cold
- Evaluate strengths of study design for pragmatic trials
- Understand the effectiveness of using probiotics for the common cold
Dr. Goldenberg is a naturopathic physician, professor, researcher, and creator of Dr. Journal Club. He is most passionate about the interplay of evidence and clinical practice.
As a naturopathic doctor Dr. Goldenberg currently practices alongside a family practice MD in a collaborative membership model they call Collabracare. While he practices as a general naturopathic practitioner, he is specifically interested in irritable bowel syndrome.
Dr. Goldenberg is a passionate educator and currently is adjunct professor at Bastyr University, his alma mater, in which he enrolled after receiving honors and distinction in molecular biology from the University of Pennsylvania. He is also faculty for the Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine’s Interprofessional Fellowship in Integrative Health and Medicine, where he teaches evidence informed practice.
Dr. Goldenberg is an active researcher with numerous publications in high impact scientific journals such as Annals of Internal Medicine and The Cochrane Library. His research focus includes evidence informed practice, irritable bowel syndrome, probiotics, and research methodology. He is currently Research Investigator at the Bastyr University Research Institute and Visiting Research Scholar at the University of Technology Sydney. He has presented nationally and internationally on evidence based medicine as well as probiotics and research methodology. His probiotics work has been highlighted by the BBC, The New York Times, The Seattle Times, Prevention Magazine, and Fox News.
In 2014 Dr. Goldenberg created the medical education website www.DrJournalClub.com in order to share his passion for the interplay of evidence and clinical practice with the larger integrative medicine community.