- In-Depth SIBO Part 1 1h 01min
- In-Depth SIBO Part 2 1h 26min
Research Review: SIBO
Millions of people suffer from gastrointestinal symptoms and distress each year, with an estimated 80% of people diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (SIBO) having concurrent SIBO. SIBO is the acronym for “small intestinal bacterial overgrowth” defined as excessive bacteria in the small intestine.
In this two-part course, Dr. Joshua Goldenberg will teach about SIBO basics, its epidemiology, and give an overview of the current state of SIBO research. He will explain the limitations of using breath tests for the diagnosis of SIBO compared to other alternatives and describe the specific issues with glucose-based breath tests and lactulose-based breath tests for SIBO diagnosis. Lastly, he will critique the North American consensus document on breath testing for SIBO.
This course is for medical providers who value research but are too swamped with patients to review each new paper on their own time. By taking this course, you will be up-to-date on the most current SIBO research and understand the benefits and limitations that exist for the different types of SIBO testing!
What You’ll Learn
- Define Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)
- List common causes/ associations/risk factors of SIBO
- Recall the various estimates of SIBO prevalence
- Explain why SIBO prevalence estimates vary
- Describe the trajectory of SIBO research over the past decades
- Explain the limitations of using breath tests for the diagnosis of SIBO compared to other alternatives
- Describe the specific issues with glucose-based breath tests for SIBO diagnosis.
- Describe the specific issues with lactulose-based breath tests for SIBO diagnosis
- Critique the North American consensus document on breath testing for SIBO
This Course Is For You If You
- You are in primary care, work in a general practice, or have patients with gastrointestinal issues, or
- You want to an in-depth research review of SIBO including prevalence, risk factors, and diagnostic testing
What’s Included With Your Purchase
✔ Instant course access
✔ Lifetime course access
✔ 24/7 online access to course
✔ PDF of course slides
✔ PDF of certificate of completion
✔ Certificate of completion available immediately upon finishing the course
✔ CEs / PDAs as outlined below
Dr. Goldenberg is a naturopathic physician, professor, researcher, and creator of Dr. Journal Club. He is most passionate about the interplay of evidence and clinical practice.
As a naturopathic doctor Dr. Goldenberg currently practices alongside a family practice MD in a collaborative membership model they call Collabracare. While he practices as a general naturopathic practitioner, he is specifically interested in irritable bowel syndrome.
Dr. Goldenberg is a passionate educator and currently is adjunct professor at Bastyr University, his alma mater, in which he enrolled after receiving honors and distinction in molecular biology from the University of Pennsylvania. He is also faculty for the Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine’s Interprofessional Fellowship in Integrative Health and Medicine, where he teaches evidence informed practice.
Dr. Goldenberg is an active researcher with numerous publications in high impact scientific journals such as Annals of Internal Medicine and The Cochrane Library. His research focus includes evidence informed practice, irritable bowel syndrome, probiotics, and research methodology. He is currently Research Investigator at the Bastyr University Research Institute and Visiting Research Scholar at the University of Technology Sydney. He has presented nationally and internationally on evidence based medicine as well as probiotics and research methodology. His probiotics work has been highlighted by the BBC, The New York Times, The Seattle Times, Prevention Magazine, and Fox News.
In 2014 Dr. Goldenberg created the medical education website www.DrJournalClub.com in order to share his passion for the interplay of evidence and clinical practice with the larger integrative medicine community.