- Lesson 1 | Primary Prevention 15min
- Lesson 2 | Intermediate Risk 10min
- Lesson 3 | Statins and the Elderly 10min
- Lesson 4 | Adverse Effects 45min
Research Review: Statins
In this course, we review recent research on statin therapy. We will cover high quality research investigating its use in primary prevention, intermediate risk, and the elderly. We cover important recent publications such as the USPSTF’s formal research review. We also investigate research on natural alternatives to statins in statin intolerant populations as well as research on associated adverse events.
- Outline the effect of statins on cardiovascular and mortality outcomes in primary prevention.
- Critique bias in the literature and understand how it plays out in the statin evidence base.
- Differentiate statin benefits based on baseline risk and level of prevention.
- Explain the benefits of statin alternatives in statin intolerant populations.
- Assess the strength of association between statin medications and commonly ascribed side effects.
Dr. Goldenberg is a naturopathic physician, professor, researcher, and creator of Dr. Journal Club. He is most passionate about the interplay of evidence and clinical practice.
As a naturopathic doctor Dr. Goldenberg currently practices alongside a family practice MD in a collaborative membership model they call Collabracare. While he practices as a general naturopathic practitioner, he is specifically interested in irritable bowel syndrome.
Dr. Goldenberg is a passionate educator and currently is adjunct professor at Bastyr University, his alma mater, in which he enrolled after receiving honors and distinction in molecular biology from the University of Pennsylvania. He is also faculty for the Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine’s Interprofessional Fellowship in Integrative Health and Medicine, where he teaches evidence informed practice.
Dr. Goldenberg is an active researcher with numerous publications in high impact scientific journals such as Annals of Internal Medicine and The Cochrane Library. His research focus includes evidence informed practice, irritable bowel syndrome, probiotics, and research methodology. He is currently Research Investigator at the Bastyr University Research Institute and Visiting Research Scholar at the University of Technology Sydney. He has presented nationally and internationally on evidence based medicine as well as probiotics and research methodology. His probiotics work has been highlighted by the BBC, The New York Times, The Seattle Times, Prevention Magazine, and Fox News.
In 2014 Dr. Goldenberg created the medical education website www.DrJournalClub.com in order to share his passion for the interplay of evidence and clinical practice with the larger integrative medicine community.