- SIBO 101 45min
- Intro and learning objectives (5 mins)
- Goldenberg’s background as it relates to SIBO and IBS
- Overview of learning objectives for this course
- What SIBO is and definitions (5 mins)
- Aspirate culture cutoffs
- Breath test thresholds
- Causes/Risk factors
- Diagnostic testing (10 mins)
- Aspirate cultures
- Hydrogen and methane breath testing
- Interventions (10 mins)
- Prognosis and recurrence (5 mins)
- Additional controversies (10 mins)
- Transit time
- Double peak
- Glucose v. lactulose
- Hydrogen sulfide
- Historical standard v. gold standard
- Define Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)
- List common causes of SIBO
- Describe the common tests used to make the diagnosis (aspirate cultures and breath tests)
- Critique these tests
- List common conventional and natural interventions for SIBO
- Explain the prognosis and recurrence rate of SIBO
- Identify key controversies in the diagnosis and treatment of SIBO
Dr. Goldenberg is a naturopathic physician, professor, researcher, and creator of Dr. Journal Club. He is most passionate about the interplay of evidence and clinical practice.
As a naturopathic doctor Dr. Goldenberg currently practices alongside a family practice MD in a collaborative membership model they call Collabracare. While he practices as a general naturopathic practitioner, he is specifically interested in irritable bowel syndrome.
Dr. Goldenberg is a passionate educator and currently is adjunct professor at Bastyr University, his alma mater, in which he enrolled after receiving honors and distinction in molecular biology from the University of Pennsylvania. He is also faculty for the Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine’s Interprofessional Fellowship in Integrative Health and Medicine, where he teaches evidence informed practice.
Dr. Goldenberg is an active researcher with numerous publications in high impact scientific journals such as Annals of Internal Medicine and The Cochrane Library. His research focus includes evidence informed practice, irritable bowel syndrome, probiotics, and research methodology. He is currently Research Investigator at the Bastyr University Research Institute and Visiting Research Scholar at the University of Technology Sydney. He has presented nationally and internationally on evidence based medicine as well as probiotics and research methodology. His probiotics work has been highlighted by the BBC, The New York Times, The Seattle Times, Prevention Magazine, and Fox News.
In 2014 Dr. Goldenberg created the medical education website www.DrJournalClub.com in order to share his passion for the interplay of evidence and clinical practice with the larger integrative medicine community.