- Hypertension in Geriatrics 51min
- Pharmacy for HTN in Geriatrics 17min
- Key Treatment Considerations 26min
Treating Hypertension in the Elderly
What You'll Learn
- Understand how hypertension is approached differently in older patients
- Identify which medications are best indicated and how to dose them
- Identify how to balance ideal numbers with higher risk of adverse effects
- Understand best practices for drug weaning
- Review common clinical scenarios
Treating hypertension in the elderly is not the same as treating hypertension in other age groups. The guidelines for initiating treatment, the medications used, and the appropriate dosing strategies are all different for older adults. In this course, Dr. Alethea Fleming will breakdown the differences and explain the pharmaceutical treatment approach for hypertension in the elderly. She will also discuss the best practices on drug weaning when appropriate for this population, as well as gentle concomitant naturopathic treatment support.
Dr. Alethea Fleming, ND is a passionate advocate for naturopathic geriatric medicine. She is a Bastyr University graduate and earned a certificate in Gerontology from the University of Washington. Dr. Fleming is the owner of the Vital Aging Clinic in Anacortes, Washington where she has provided care to elders and someday-elders for over a dozen years. Dr. Fleming is adjunct faculty at Bastyr University and Middle Way Acupuncture Institute, as well as a proud member of AGS, WANP, and AANP.