- Naturopathic Aesthetics: Assessment in Naturopathic Aesthetics 2h 15min
Naturopathic Aesthetics: Assessment in Naturopathic Aesthetics
In the growth of Naturopathic Aesthetics, we are fortunate to have access to a wide amount of studies, research reviews, and even textbooks covering relevant topics such as cosmeceuticals, nutrition, lifestyle modifications, and even acupuncture. Having said that, despite this plethora of therapeutic options, the Naturopathic Doctor looking to integrate an aesthetics component into their practice requires a place to start, especially from the viewpoint of assessing common aesthetic concerns. As such, the major goal for this course is to explore key components of aesthetic assessment, evaluation, and methods to better measure outcomes in the achievement of our patient’s cosmetic goals. We will review tools you can use in the building of your own preferred assessment approach. Some of the key assessment tools we will review include visual photo-numeric scales used to evaluate severity of wrinkling across specific facial locations; tips on how to take optimal before and after cosmetic clinical photographs; assessment for skin sensitivity; key aspects in assessing periorbital cosmetic concerns, including under-eye darkening; and an introduction to a questionnaire designed to more fully evaluate and determine a patient’s skin type, from which more individualized topical, lifestyle, and other treatment options can be made. In addition, included with this course is a fully customizable sample Naturopathic Aesthetics Assessment form. This form blends key elements from a standard aesthetics assessment with many of the key tools explored throughout this course. It is designed for you to adapt and integrate into your personal aesthetics practice.
- Understand the various processes which contribute to facial aging, including the common dermatological and structural changes which characterize it
- Understand the cosmetic-related uses for the Fitzpatrick Scale of skin phototypes
- Explore the role, benefit, and usage of an assessment tool directed toward classification of features inherent in facial photoaging
- Review the clinical application and benefits of an assessment method designed to evaluate global features of facial photoaging, and to track changes seen over time
- Explore how to utilize an established photo-numeric-based scale designed to visually determine severity of cosmetic concerns, including wrinkling across various facial locations and aging-based facial changes
- Review and identify key components and methods of taking optimal before and after cosmetic clinical photographs
- Understand the utilization of an assessment scale specific for determining sensitive skin
- Understand the role and benefit of an assessment tool designed to establish a detailed evaluation of skin typing across various parameters, and how these skin types set the stage for an individualized treatment plan
- Identify and implement essential components of assessing the periorbital area from an aesthetics perspective, including the assessment of periorbital darkness
- Explore the role and benefit of various Patient Reported Outcomes Measures (PROMs) in relation to assessing and managing cosmetic concerns
- Awareness of the key features characterizing Body Dysmorphic Disorder, and familiarization with a related BDD screening tool
- Review the role and benefit of using stress assessment scales in the context of evaluating the impact of stress on skin concerns
- Explore the components of a sample Naturopathic Aesthetics assessment form and treatment protocol form, as a means of fully integrating the assessment tools described throughout this course
Proudly celebrating over 15 years in the profession, Dr. Rob Ayoup, ND, has worked to promote the rich benefits of Naturopathic Medicine to all those he has worked with. After achieving his BSc in Psychology from McGill University, this proud Montreal native traveled down the highway to attend The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto. Graduating in 2002, and settling in the Toronto area, Dr. Rob has enjoyed a career filled with varied and unique ways of offering Naturopathic Medicine to the public.
Dr. Ayoup has applied Naturopathic Medicine across multiple avenues. In addition to clinical practice, these include working as a CCNM recruitment representative and teaching assistant; organizing & teaching various public CE courses at CCNM; a Naturopathic consultant for one of Canada’s largest nation-wide Employee Assistance Programs; and proudly has penned a portfolio of published articles covering both general & retail-focused topics in natural medicine. Dr. Rob is currently a contributing author to the Naturopathic Currents website.
The bridge into Naturopathic Aesthetics began soon after graduation. Upon completing additional training in Cosmetic Facial and Cellulite Acupuncture, Dr. Rob soon found a strong interest in his patient population for less invasive and natural approaches to skin health and beauty. This was accelerated by the recognition that, although well trained for managing common skin concerns, the knowledge base for the ever-growing and prevalent realm of natural-based cosmetics and cosmetic techniques was underexplored. As Dr. Rob studied and integrated these therapies into his practice, he quickly realized how much Naturopathic therapies, and especially our approach, can offer in the arena of Aesthetics Medicine. Working within various medical spa and fitness facilities have offered a wonderful opportunity to integrate Naturopathic Aesthetics in the Toronto area. Building on his passion for constant learning & teaching, Dr Rob is eager to educate his fellow NDs as to this exciting application of Naturopathic Medicine.