- Research Review: How to Evaluate Research Like a Pro 1h 50min
Research Review: How to Evaluate Research Studies Like a Pro
Research studies offer incredible insight to the practitioner. However, not all research is good research – and how can you tell the difference? The act of evaluating research studies is challenging. In this 2 hour course, we will navigate the research evaluation process, emphasizing critical terms, their definitions, and support your critical thinking necessary to evaluate research studies.
- Recall the original definition of evidence-based medicine
- Identify point-of-care resources for high quality evidence
- Discover risk of bias in randomized controlled trials as it relates to unmasking and blinding
- Discover risk of bias in randomized controlled trials as it relates to industry sponsorship
- Define minimal clinically important differences (MCIDs)
- Explain why MCIDs may be more relevant than p values
- Apply research findings to the patient in front of you
- Discover ways to hone your critical evaluation skills
Dr. Goldenberg is a naturopathic physician, professor, researcher, and creator of Dr. Journal Club. He is most passionate about the interplay of evidence and clinical practice.
As a naturopathic doctor Dr. Goldenberg currently practices alongside a family practice MD in a collaborative membership model they call Collabracare. While he practices as a general naturopathic practitioner, he is specifically interested in irritable bowel syndrome.
Dr. Goldenberg is a passionate educator and currently is adjunct professor at Bastyr University, his alma mater, in which he enrolled after receiving honors and distinction in molecular biology from the University of Pennsylvania. He is also faculty for the Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine’s Interprofessional Fellowship in Integrative Health and Medicine, where he teaches evidence informed practice.
Dr. Goldenberg is an active researcher with numerous publications in high impact scientific journals such as Annals of Internal Medicine and The Cochrane Library. His research focus includes evidence informed practice, irritable bowel syndrome, probiotics, and research methodology. He is currently Research Investigator at the Bastyr University Research Institute and Visiting Research Scholar at the University of Technology Sydney. He has presented nationally and internationally on evidence based medicine as well as probiotics and research methodology. His probiotics work has been highlighted by the BBC, The New York Times, The Seattle Times, Prevention Magazine, and Fox News.
In 2014 Dr. Goldenberg created the medical education website www.DrJournalClub.com in order to share his passion for the interplay of evidence and clinical practice with the larger integrative medicine community.